Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Veruca darling

"Daddy I want an oompa loompa and I want one NOW!"

Ever have those Veruca Salt moments? So many things that I want, but I want them right away? And not just material things, not just the goose that lays the golden eggs..
Those things that I feel will make me a "good/better" wife, mum, friend, daughter.
I want to be more organised, more social, more efficient, kinder, softer, blah blah blah....
And I give God this never-ending wish list and stand there mentally stomping my feet just like Veruca singing - "I want the world, I want the WHOLE world"

Now there are things that I CAN do in the natural to attain some of the above - I can be more diligent with my devotionals and actually put into practice what I'm reading! I can spend more quality time in prayer, making sure I keep His presence in my home.. I can follow my "Flylady" routines daily to keep the mess at bay, be consistent with discipline, eat well, excercise, etc etc etc.........!

You and I both know that God isn't going to roll His eyes and sigh "Yes Linda/Veruca darling, you can have everything you want right now". Just so that I shut up and stop whining.
He knows full well what I want, but He also knows exactly what I NEED.
He knows what it will take to build depth of character in me, He knows what it will take for me to grow and nurture quality attributes and He will put in my path the neccessary situations and circumstances to develop them. Will I face it and embrace it? Or will I stomp my feet, pout and say "It's not FAIR!"

Veruca Salt was a demanding little pratt who ended up sliding down the chute where all the bad eggs go - not quite what I've got pictured for my life!
I guess what I'm going to do is this - Trust in the Lord with all my heart, lean not on my own understanding, in all my ways acknowledge Him and let Him direct my paths. (Prov 3:5-6)
I might not get my own way at times, but I can be confident that He knows what's best for me. Life might not be fair, but God is good, all the time,

And all the time - God is good.

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you write, I can hear your voice coming through my computer screen!! All the time, God is good!! xx

    ReplyDelete