Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Australians all...

Just got home from our annual pilgrimage to the Skyshow - the big fireworks display in our city to celebrate Australia Day. I've done it every year since I can remember; with the youth group as a young teenager, with various dates over my young adulthood, with my ex while living up in the city, as a single mum with one of my best friends and now with my hubby, kids and a big group of church friends. The Skyshow has become a set tradition in my family and it's gotten me thinking about what being Australian really means to me, and what I should be teaching the kids about being born "young and free".

We truly live in a lucky country, a land of so many opportunities but many times we can get so caught up chasing after what we haven't got and miss the blessing in what we really do already have.

We don't have devastating poverty, we have a welfare system.
We don't have a corrupt dictatorship government, we live in a democracy.
We have freedom of speech and freedom of religion and we are totally free to exercise these.
We have access to good medical care, uncontaminated food and water, safe public transport.
I could go on and on...

I want my kids to know that men fought and died so we could have this, women lost their husbands, children lost their fathers for us to live "young and free". People gave a great sacrifice so that we could sit back tonight and watch amazing fireworks in a free country.

I'm proud to be an Aussie, to be True Blue, a Skippy chick, Dinky Di. This is my country and I'm proud of it.

God bless Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment