Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kiss the Bride

On Friday my husband and I had the honour of witnessing the wedding of our pastor's daughter. It was a stunning beach ceremony followed by a very meaningful reception in the beautiful South West of our State. The bride is absolutely drop dead gorgeous and her groom is a hottie, but that wasn't what made this such a moving wedding. The reception was a unique blend of Australian/Italian and New Zealand/Maori culture which was in itself thoroughly enjoyable and insightful.

However - for me, the thing that stood out from all of the above was the fact that this gorgeous young couple have united together throughout their dating and courting and have honoured God in every way. They have sought first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness in every way. They haven't compromised.
To see a very modern young couple walking the path of abstinence until marriage is truly unique in today's Western world where sex before marriage is encouraged and usually "the norm". To know the pressures put on young people to follow that norm and to see them stand up and shun this, knowing that there is a "far more excellent way" is what made this so special to me.

I have watched this young lady grow up and if I could have anything for my daughter it would be for her to follow in the footsteps of this bride. I have seen the depth of the commitment to God of this groom and my heart deeply desires this for my teenage son. I have also seen the way my pastors have parented their children over the years, the intimacy in their relationships with their kids, the way they haven't compromised God's standards in their lives. I see the depth of their walk with the Lord in everything they do.

Raising a bride like Bianca and a groom like Jordy doesn't just "happen". It takes dedicated prayer, devotion to parenting and unconditional love 24/7...
I am so very proud of this young couple, but not half as proud as their parents are, and I have been truly inspired this weekend that this adventure of parenting is worth it all.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!
    You know what I was thinking when Sim was doing her speech? That that will be one of my girls, giving a speech for the other, at their wedding one day. How special! They certainly have done an outstanding job and parenting their beautiful children (as are you!!). I can only hope my kids follow in their footsteps too!

    ReplyDelete