Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sucking eggs

Strange title for a post I know, but it's the name of a library book I picked up on Monday and have been struggling to put down ever since...
"Sucking eggs - what your wartime Granny could teach you about diet, thrift and going green" by Patricia Nicol.

I was under the impression that this would be a bit like the old CWA cookbooks that had great, old fashioned household tips and hints - some that put a bit of a grin on your face, but I was surprised to find that it is actually a bit of an historical account of the life and trials of British housewives during the 2nd World War.
How they had to plan family meals around food rationing, how they were all encouraged to "Dig for Victory" by growing their own vegies and being self sufficient, how they had to clothe themselves and their families with clothing rations and were again encouraged to "Make do and mend" by only buying or making the clothing they would need, sensibly looking after what they had and not senselessly frittering away money on fashion trends. How they had to carefully think about every trip they took as fuel was so desperately needed elsewhere, most times they walked or cycled and only sourced locally made or grown products.

I'm not yet finished reading (I'm up to the chapter on beauty - putting your best face forward, and how to keep your hair looking presentable when water for bathing was to be spared and luxuries such as shampoo were not easily attainable...... Berets, snoods and headscarves suddenly became quite popular!) but this book has got me reflecting:
Why did it take war time for people to be so sensible?
Why did the government have to intervene to encourage the public to buy home grown/made National products so British money wouldn't be spent overseas thus boosting their own economy?
Why is it that today more than ever we have such a need for sensibility but so many excuses against it? For example, it's been said that one square kilometer of solar panels placed in the red centre of our country could apparently power our entire nation, but it won't be done due to the fact that those running the coal powered electricity companies would be rather put out. Another example is that we have no qualms paying for fashion items and designer labels if we don't see the 3rd world sweat shop conditions they are made in.

Now I'm not planning on joining a hippy commune (although I've often lamented not being born Amish......!) nor am I about to join Peter Garret and chant anti-establishment songs, but I am beginning to become quite passionate about our environment, the future of our planet and what we are leaving for our children and grandchildren. I am of the opinion that way back in Genesis we were given a mandate to look after this amazing planet that He created for us. I know that there is a time and a season for everything and that according to 2Peter 3 this world will one day pass away, but until that time I believe we should be responsible guardians and inhabitants of this incredible earth He's placed us on.

I need to get off my soapbox for now I think!
Not a regular post for this little Ruby girl, but this is what is going through my head just now.

2 comments:

  1. I think alot of the stories and teachings of my grandparents are so deeply ingrained in me to the extent that I am frugal about everything...I kid you not. Society as a whole could learn so much from looking back at the lives of generations past to make right all the wrongs we have done to our planet. It is never too late!!

    I may have to read that book myself :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammi,

    I've found a great little nook at the library that you and I could inhabit for HOURS!!! Will have to take the kids together one day.

    X

    ReplyDelete