Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 4 - Letterbox

When I saw that today's theme was 'Letterbox/mailbox' I was a bit down... I seriously have the most dull, boring letterbox out and truly didn't want to post a photo of it for all the world to see.
I pondered what to post then popped over to Mum & Dad's for a visit. There it was



My parent's letterbox.
It's been out the front of their home for 41 years. I remember being little and getting excited whenever the postie (mailman) came - maybe he had a letter for ME!!
I remember waiting by it to get picked up for sports and getting dropped off next to it late at night after a teenage night out with friends.
I've sent cards to it, checked it for Mum & Dad whenever they've gone away.
My Great Grandfather wrote many letters delivered to it in his beautiful spidery handwriting. My 87 year old Grandma still sends letters to it.

This is my favourite letterbox - it's home.

Xx

4 comments:

  1. I love seeing bits of everyday life in other places, we have letterboxes in our front door which are no where near as exciting! Lovely picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this I have just remembered that my mums parents were number 91 too. They lived in the same house for more years than I can remember and I am sure their letterbox saw its fair share of mail and drops offs :)
    It's not that common these days for our generation to reside in the same place for so long which is a real shame in some ways.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post...Mine growing up was the same, I hope my letterbox now will hold as many memories. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this.
    You often describe yourself as "shallow as a puddle" but I think not. This is just beautiful!
    X

    ReplyDelete