Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gleaning

Now I'm not very well known for my crafting ability.
I can garden - and I love gardening, and I can cook - very well actually (aaah, so modest too!). Most of my friends wouldn't refer to me as "Linda the crafter", but after today that may change......!

My Mum mentioned to me that there is a craft group at the church over the road from her house and that maybe I should take the kids along.  Being new to this homeschooling gig I thought we'd check it out today.
So very glad we did.
It's in the church hall and full of interesting people from all walks of life - well mainly those in their twilight years.  We had an introduction day today, made name badges for ourselves and worked out what we might like to do.  We had such a lovely morning, met some delightful people and got some fantastic ideas for future projects.

Isn't it amazing what we can learn from those of other generations?
I saw my 13 year old son talking with an elderly gentleman about woodworking and having a laugh with some ladies trying to make a bird feeder, while Miss 10 was being her usual social butterfly self and charming all the little old ladies by asking questions about card making, mosaic tiling and crocheting.  I myself had idealistic visions of quilting and crochet and a homemade Christmas!! (Hmmmmm - keep dreaming Linda)  I was so proud of the way my kids behaved themselves today, they were in the company of much older people and some special needs people and they shone.  (No, I'm not going into a big "how good are my kids" post - I was just really proud of them today)

The thing I really enjoyed about today though was gleaning.
Watching those whose lives are unhurried, unworried, uncomplicated.
They've done their child raising, they've paid their mortgages off, they've finished their working years and they are now enjoying their grey hairs.  Somehow, I think that the stresses and tension we place on our daily lives are foreign to that generation.

My Grandmother didn't have a microwave, a washing machine, a dryer or any modern appliances but she still managed to cook, clean and wash for a family of 7 and raised them in a 2 bedroom home.  My mother didn't have a dryer but managed to keep my siblings and I in clean/dry cloth nappies for a few years.  She grew our vegies and made our clothes, knitted our jumpers and baked our treats, read us stories, showed us sunsets, taught us skills and loved us.  Yes I remember stressful times with Mum (especially when I was a teenager), but I'm sure she spent more quality time with us when we were kids than I do with mine.

So on top of my week of encouragment I'm going to take a leaf out of Grandma's, Mum's and all the oldies at the craft group's book and stress less, I'm going to smell the flowers I grow, let Miss 10 bake and forget about the mess, go on walks to the skate park with Mr 13, talk with them, listen to them, make things, craft more, worry less and enjoy my life - every minute of it.

5 comments:

  1. *LOVE* - I also need to endeavour to do that! I'm enjoying my week of "holiday" for exactly that reason... a break in routine - more time for relaxed fun with the kids - without worrying about them mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, LOVE this!!! We could learn so much from that generation.
    I worked in a retirement home/hospice as a teenager and absolutely loved talking to the residents, they left such an impression on me that I was forever changed.
    Unfortunately in this day and age we cause ourselves undue stress..yes I think it's time to sit back and smell the roses :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your week of doing all those things you have said...it is not always as easy as it should be. Your kids will love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Linda! I think alot of people spend so much time working long hours to buy their kids what they THINK they want, when really, kids just want their parents to spend more quality time with them. I LOVE that your homeschooling your kids, I'm not sure I could be that brave! (On a side note, I think it was your Mum that inspired me to become a knitter; I remember once when I was at your house as a kid that she knitted and sewed up a beanie in half an hour while she was chatting with us - I was awestruck!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lainie!
    I didn't think I could homeschool either, but now I'm like "why didn't I do this years ago?!?"
    Mum is a legend, she quilts and knits and everything else.
    I always thought your mum was just soooo funky and "hip"!!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete